Subjects of Interest
- Christian Growth
- Personal Witness
- Articles related to the Salvation Army’s mission of preaching the Gospel and helping people in need, and articles that portray Salvation Army personnel & programs.
- We look for submissions that address contemporary topics and concerns in ways that inspire people to grow in faith.
- We welcome well-researched articles that help individuals and families live victoriously within the context of modern life (marriage, parenting, stress, loss, personal growth).
- Profiles of people and programs that are making a positive impact for the gospel.
- Articles should show by example and by careful research why the given topic, profile, or feature is meaningful for readers and how it can improve their lives.
The War Cry, now in its 137th year, represents the Army’s mission through news, profiles, commentaries and stories. It looks to bring people to Christ, help believers grow in faith and character, and promotes redemptive cultural practices from the perspective of Salvation Army programs, ministries and doctrines. Readership consists of those in and involved with The Salvation Army as well as the general public. It is distributed in bulk to Salvation Army locations for use in ministry, and to individual subscribers. Over the last two years the magazine’s design and content have been upgraded, its circulation moved from biweekly to monthly, and a new insert called “Intersection” added for use as a separate hand out to reach those unfamiliar with the meaning and vernacular of the Christian faith.
Published 12 times per year, with special issues at Christmas and Easter. The average circulation is 185,000 copies monthly, 1.7 million at Christmas and 1 million at Easter.
How to Submit
Please use our online submission form.
What to Submit
• Photographs (600 dpi)
• Fiction (Limited)
• Use New Living Translation
Payment made at time of acceptance
• $0.35 per word for first rights, one-time use articles
• $0.15 per word for reprints
Submit articles for a particular theme 60 days prior to the issue date.
Please limit these submissions to 800 – 1250 words.
Special Christmas and Easter Holiday editions focus on the meaning of the seasons, and include riveting accounts of spiritual rebirth. Submit 6 months prior to the publication of these issues.
Photos accompanying submissions, where appropriate, make submissions more compelling.
Brief news items and sidebar pieces also accepted.
Please limit these submissions to 100 – 400 words.
Response time for approval 3 to 4 weeks
War Cry Theme List 2019
|January 2019||What’s Next? Trends affecting Christians and the world at large and how they will change what we know.|
|February 2019||Peacemakers: A Christian response to mass shootings, genocide and the threat of war.|
|March 2019||Living Sacrifice: During the season of Lent, in response to what Christ has done for us, how can we do something for Him?|
|May 2019||Making a Difference: Ways to influence at home and in the workplace, leaving a spiritual legacy for future generations.|
|June 2019||Free: Stories of deliverance and how the power of Christ transforms lives.|
|July 2019||Heritage Edition — 1950s.|
|August 2019||The Family of God: Celebrating cultural and ethnic differences while finding common ground in the family of God.|
|September 2019||* The Forgotten: Remembering those who others forget, outreach to those on the fringes.|
|October 2019||* Life Stages: Meeting God at every stage of life – birth, childhood, adolescence, young adult, middle age and elderly.|
|November 2019||* Down but not Out: Stories of failure, betrayal or loss that became the stepping stones to spiritual breakthrough. Also forgiveness and restoration.|
* Subject to change by the incoming Editor-in-Chief