Recipe: Shrimp Ramp-y“Shrimp with a garlicky, pungent, buttery scampi sauce. The combination of garlic and ramps may seem like overkill, but we promise it’s not (Bon Appétit).”
Ingredients – Serves: 4
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 bunch ramps (about 6 ounces), bulbs and greens separated, bulbs halved lengthwise, greens torn into 2-inch or 3-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon mild red pepper flakes (such as Maras, Urfa, or Aleppo-style), plus more for serving
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1¼ pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined, preferably tails left on
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ lemon
- Kosher salt
- Combine 3 tablespoons oil and ramp bulbs in a large skillet. Set over medium heat and cook, tossing occasionally, until bulbs are softened but have not taken on any color, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and ½ teaspoon mild red pepper flakes, then cook, tossing occasionally, until garlic is softened, about 3 minutes. Add wine and increase heat to medium high. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until wine is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
- Add ramp greens, shrimp and butter to pan. Season with salt and cook, tossing occasionally, until ramp greens are wilted, shrimp turn pink and butter is melted, about 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- Finely grate zest from lemon half over shrimp, then squeeze in juice.
- Sprinkle with more mild red pepper flakes and drizzle with plenty of oil. Enjoy!
Reprint: This recipe originally appeared on BonAppetit.com, written by Andy Baraghani. To read more, click here.